Re: address@hidden: changing line heights]

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: address@hidden: changing line heights]
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:15:30 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden (Gerd Moellmann) writes:
> Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
>>  >   (setq standard-display-table (make-display-table))
>>
>>  Indeed, this restores the correct behaviour!  So is it a bug?

> In some sense yes, I think.

>  -- Does C-u C-x = show the font being used for characters with a
>     display-table entry?  It doesn't look like it does.

No.  I'm now working on improving it.  Please wait for a while.

>  -- Should there be entries for `' in standard-display-table?  If yes,
>     should lisp-mode maybe override such an entry so that backquote is
>     easier to distinguish from quote?  Or some variation of this.

I think `' should not be displayed by U+2018 and U+2019.
Unicode defines them not as balanced quotes.  Using them as
balanced quotes is abuse of characters as far as we follow
Unicode.

Considering the long standing convention, I don't suggest to
stop this abuse.  But, at least, we should not disturb
people who use those characters correctly in the sense of
Unicode by displaying them with characters of different
semantics.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden