Re: Info mutilates user overlays.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Info mutilates user overlays.
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 20:38:31 -0400

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 06:18:53PM -0500, Luc Teirlinck wrote:
> I will take a closer look at it, but at first sight
> `Info-selection-hook' looks like it might work.  There probably are
> other *info* style buffers, so I still would have to tell that in
> certain situations manual re-highlighting will be necessary.

I think Stefan's comparison with window-system display updates is apropos.

Perhaps a similar solution would be in order: if there are situations where
it's desirable for overlays (&c) to be re-established after a buffer-smashing
operation, maybe there should just be a list of (FUNCTION . ARGS) entries,
and (apply FUNCTION ARGS) would be done on each entry after such an event.

Are there other places than info where a buffer gets smashed in a way that
doesn't entirely invalidate the data anyway (re-visiting a file comes to
mind)?

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?