Re: windows-1251 language environment

From: Anton Zinoviev
Subject: Re: windows-1251 language environment
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:56:09 +0300

On  7.X.2003 at 11:54 Kenichi Handa wrote:

> For instance, in such a case, we can allow people to create
> a new lang. env. by inheriting, for instance, Russian, and
> modifying coding-system to windows-1251.

That is a good feature, it will be usefull say for Bulgarian as
Bulgarians use two completely different keyboard layouts.  The example
given here however is very bad.

CP1251 is not similar to the others CP???? coding systems because it
is used extensively for several languages in the GNU systems.
Unfortunately the name of this coding system often confuses people.
This coding system is standard for Belarusian and Bulgarian languages
and it is used very often also for other languages.  It supports and
_is_ often used for all non-Asian Cyrillic languages.

The generic language environment for CP1251 should have a generic
input method (rather than Russian).  The TUTORIAL should not be
presented in Russian as many people outside the former SU do not know
Russian.  The mails sent in this environment should not be encoded in
koi8-r.

Anton Zinoviev

P.S. On 26 September I sent here a message regarding the Cyrillic
     support of Emacs.