Re: windows-1251 language environment

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: windows-1251 language environment
Date: 10 Oct 2003 13:42:42 -0400

>> For instance, in such a case, we can allow people to create
>> a new lang. env. by inheriting, for instance, Russian, and
>> modifying coding-system to windows-1251.
> Is this actually better than allowing them to specify (the equivalent
> of) the locale ru_RU.windows-1251?

Completely agreed.  Locales are pretty limited, but language environments
even more so.  And locales are more likely to be already properly setup
(for other applications).

Language environments might make sense internally, but I think we should
encourage people to configure their Emacs by doing:
- 1st and foremost, set your locale properly, or call
  `set-locale-environment' in your .emacs.
- If that's not quite right, fix the parts you don't like directly
  by specifying preferred coding systems, preferred language for tutorial,
  preferred input systems, ...

Also I wonder what would be the point of doing:

   (define-derived-language "foo" "bar"
     bla bla bla)
   (set-language-environment "foo")

rather than

   (set-language-environment "bar")
   bla bla bla

Or do you expect define-derived-language to be used elsewhere than in
a .emacs ?

        Stefan