Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug
Date: 16 Oct 2003 15:21:40 -0400

>> I need to be able to forward/resend a GPG-signed message (or a message with
>> a GPG-signed subpart), so at least in those cases we need to preserve all
>> the information.
> Is forwarding such a frequent operation?

The question is not even relevant: it needs to be possible to do it,
so you need to keep the info, just in case.

>> PS: All the MUAs I know do the processing upon display, so I don't
>> understand why it would pose any performance problem.
> It simply sounds sub-optimal to do the decoding every time the message
> is displayed.

It might be suboptimal in some cases, but in terms of programmer resources,
it's pretty close to optimal.  Admittedly, it's not clear whether programmer
resources is the bottleneck w.r.t MIME decoding given the number of
different MIME-decoding package have been written in elisp.  Or maybe it is
the bottleneck and it's a shame that we would write yet-another one rather
than use a pre-existing one such as the one in Gnus (wisely used by MH-E).

        Stefan