Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug
Date: 20 Oct 2003 08:15:18 +0300

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
> > I see one solution to these problems - to export entire mbox to the
> > file system, i.e. to save MIME parts to separate files, decode
> > base64/quoted-printable regions, convert the charset from Content-Type
> > line to Emacs encoding, add corresponding -*- coding: -*- line, and
> > save fully decoded message to a separate file.
>
> > Note that this don't contradict the decision to store messages in mbox
> > in their undecoded form.  The proposed solution duplicates the content
> > of messages in the decoded form.  Hard disks now so cheap that having
> > two copies of the same message is not a problem.  The decoded messages
> > could also be used as a cache to make displaying messages faster,
> > whereas undecoded messages will be available to resend forwards, where
> > no original information should be lost.  There should be some way to
> > correlate between them, i.e. to find corresponding decoded message
> > from undecoded one, and vice versa.
>
> This method is very similar to what I proposed in my
> previous mail.
>
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> > (1) Read RMAIL file without decoding into some hidden source
> >     buffer (unibyte).  It may be ok to process only
> >     Content-Transfer-Encoding.
> > (2) Prepare a view buffer.
> > (3) Insert the current message in the view buffer after decoding it.
> > (4) A background process (run by idle timer?) decodes not
> >     yet decoded message into the view buffer (like
> >     jit-lock-stealth-fontify).
>
> Mine doesn't save the view buffer in a file, yours does.

Yes, this method is very similar to yours.  However, I added saving of
decoded messages in files to solve the mentioned problems:

1. Mail archives with fully decoded messages can be grepped, if they are
   stored in files;

2. It's possible to refer to separate messages as to ordinary files.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/