Re: terminal escapes in Info files?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: terminal escapes in Info files?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:09:05 -0500

rms: I am actually coming to believe that using the raw terminal escape
sequences is as clean as anything else in this particular limited
context.  We specifically want to support what terminals can support.
Aren't the ANSI escape sequences as reasonable a way of specifying that
as anything?

I don't see any particular advantage to writing ^H^[bold^H^] (or <bold>
or whatever) instead of ^[[3m, and the implementation in both info and
M-x info gets much more complex if we introduce a layer of indirection,
which all it really amounts to.

This discussion is telling me that we may want a better output format in
general than Info, but any significant/large extensions are hard to mark
and turn Info into something other than what it was designed to be:
output on a terminal.  So, as far as improving Info itself goes in the
short term, this seems as good as anything.

What do you think?