Re: APOP support in movemail

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: APOP support in movemail
Date: 09 Nov 2003 14:01:31 +0100

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Continuing to support movemail in Emacs only because it works on
>     Windows ...
>
> When you refer to `Windows' do you mean the most common windowing
> system in my experience, which by linquistic shortening is what my
> friends and I refer to as `Windows', namely X Windows?  Or do you
> refer to some other windowing system that we have the freedom to
> work on if we choose, such as Fresno?  Or do you refer to a
> windowing system controlled by an organization that forbids any of
> us to work on it if we wanted to?
>
> If the latter, please always tell this, so we don't have to waste
> our time thinking about a system we are forbidden to work on.

Could we stop playing semantic games?  For some people Microsoft
Windows is the relevant infrastructure they have to work with, and
there is no purpose in willfully denying them access to freedoms that
could be available to them.  Just like the street towards your house
is relevant infrastructure to you which you are not allowed to
modify.  We need not feel compelled to work on other's streets, but
there is no point in sabotaging them actively and making maintenance
for those people harder than it already is on purpose.