Re: APOP support in movemail

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: APOP support in movemail
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 22:58:50 +0000 (UTC)

   Could we stop playing semantic games?  For some people Microsoft
   Windows is the relevant infrastructure they have to work with, ...

Well, if that is what they choose, then please tell us.  For those of
use who choose freedom, `Windows' means the one that is our most
common structure.

   ... Just like the street towards your house
   is relevant infrastructure to you which you are not allowed to
   modify.

Right!  And I do not tell you it is the `Road', I tell you that it is
`Golden Hill Road'.  That is its name.

However, when I talk to people in this neighborhood, it is
the `Road'.

Similarly, I work in a software neighborhood of freedom.  You may not.
But I do.  And many people I know do.  I agree, when talking to people
outside my software neighborhood I should talk about `X Windows' or
`Fresno'.  But similarly, when talking outside of your neighborhood,
you should specify `Microsoft Windows' or `X Windows' or `Fresno'.
Otherwise, you are being both impolite and confusing.

--
    Robert J. Chassell             address@hidden
    98A Golden Hill Rd.            http://www.rattlesnake.com