Re: [mew-int 01596] Re: windows 1252

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [mew-int 01596] Re: windows 1252
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:32:06 +0900

    Kenichi> [...]

    Kenichi> That's a good idea.  I'll work on it.

    >> AFAIK this is an XFree86-only extension.  As of X11R6.4 such
    >> extensions were forbidden in X.org Compound Text Encoding.  Is
    >> it really a good idea?

    Kenichi> I think so.  Currently we encode mule-unicode-0100-24ff
    Kenichi> by ESC $ - 1 ...  which is also an invalid code, and only
    Kenichi> Emacs can decode it.  If we use UTF-8 encoding, more
    Kenichi> clients can decode it.

I certainly agree that UTF-8 should be used for encoding.  The
question is should the DOCS UTF-8 (XFree86 only, I fear) sequence be
used to invoke it, or should the DOCS private final byte UTF-8 (X11
standard extended segment) be used.

XEmacs will follow what GNU does on this; there's no point in having
yet another unneeded incompatibility.  But I prefer to follow the
general standard, not XFree86, especially where the XFree86 practice
has always been forbidden by the general X11 standard.

    Kenichi> Emacs decodes extended segment for ISO-8859-15 correctly,
    Kenichi> but doesn't use it for encoding.  According to Dave,
    Kenichi> Latin-9 (ISO-8859-15) users don't want it.  See this code
    Kenichi> in mule.el.

I know it violates the CTEXT standard but many Linux apps give it to
you anyway.

It's interesting that they happily take the standard codes.  That's
useful to know.