Re: ls-lisp and remote files

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ls-lisp and remote files
Date: 13 Nov 2003 19:48:22 +0100

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Richard Stallman wrote:
> >
> >> The option should be designed so that there is a non-nil value meaning
> >> "numbers" and another non-nil value meaning "strings", so that we can
> >> someday change the meaning of nil.
> >
> > How about any number (e.g. 0) or any string (e.g. "")?
>
> Or maybe 'numberp and 'stringp.

The original proposal has the advantage that

(setq x (what-were-we-talking-about x))

will retain the type.  Almost as easy would be to use the values

(type-of 0) and (type-of "")

(after evaluation, of course).  There is no similarly straightforward
mapping from a number to 'numberp and a string to 'stringp AFAIR.