Re: A new online publishing tool for Texinfo documents.

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: A new online publishing tool for Texinfo documents.
Date: 24 Nov 2003 16:39:39 +0000

>     I'm unsure about Lynx but for Emacs/W3 I'm sure we could add a hack
>     so that we could use Elisp as an in-page language.
>
> Perhaps each instruction could be provided both in Javascript and in
> Emacs Lisp; then each program to display the file could use whichever
> one is easier.

Yes, that was what I was suggesting.

The trouble with doing that is that viruses become a real
possibility. We'd have to invent some security checking stuff to
ensure that elisp programs embedded in webpages only did what they
were allowed to do.

Of course, with elisp that's not as difficult as it is in other
languages because an elisp parser is not as difficult to write... but
it's still more work than linking in Javascript.

It also only solves the problem for this application. More and more
websites are using Javascript in the page.

> Or if the Javascript that you need is very limited and stereotyped,
> a simple Lisp program could recognize the standard Javascript programs
> with regexps, and handle each case appropriately.

That's a good idea. We could tag the javascript with comments so that
they could be recognised easily.

Nic