process-connection-type nil & gdb (was Re: C-c C-c killing gdb on OS/X)

From: Steven Tamm
Subject: process-connection-type nil & gdb (was Re: C-c C-c killing gdb on OS/X)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:02:45 -0800

I noticed this bug a while ago in the carbon port, and it works correctly with both X11 and the terminal emacs. It has to do with the (setq process-connection-type nil) problem. With X & the terminal the subprocesses are allocated with a pty, while with carbon they are allocated with pipes. So if you (setq process-connection-type t), gdb will work; and if you (setq process-connection-type nil) in X11 and the terminal, it will fail and will probably fail on other platforms as well. The "real bug" is that process-connection-type needs to be nil for darwin due to a bug in the pty implementation.

I'm not that familiar with the process code, nor with ptys, so I have no idea what is going wrong. Can someone else look and figure out what the problem with interrupting gdb with pipes is?

Thanks,
-Steven