Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:32:52 -0600 (CST)

Yuri Linkov wrote:

   But will this work in Info buffers?  As I remember, there is some
   additional text property with a help text such that if point moves
   over a character with such property, then a help text is displayed in
   the echo area.  Is it so?  This would be useful to display references
   to external info manuals in the echo area when references are hidden
   in the Info buffer and user navigates between references by keyboard.

Essentially, the same text as the one provided on mouse-over by the
help-echo property can get printed on point-over, in the echo area, if
the user sets a timer.  The timer is customizable in various ways.
Without a timer, the text can be printed on demand using "C-h ."  Even
without the timer there are movement functions that move to the next
or previous `help-echo' region and print the help-echo of that region
in the echo area.

So my file is mainly concerned with the help-echo property, although
it provides for a more keyboard oriented alternative kbd-help, in case
help-echo is too exclusively mouse-oriented.

While all of this can be useful when Info-hide-note-references is t, I
do not believe that it is a full substitute for the ability to
customize that variable to nil.

Making invisible text temporarily visible is something different.
There you have reveal-mode, which, if I understand correctly, requires
overlays and does not work well with Info's text properties.  You have
visible-mode which toggles invisibility regardless of whether text or
overlay properties are used.  If one winds up enabling visible-mode
too often in Info however, one probably wants to set
Info-hide-note-references to nil.

Sincerely,

Luc.