Re: Disabling VC: Documentation seems inadequate.

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: Disabling VC: Documentation seems inadequate.
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:02:53 +0100

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 21:45, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> I think files.texi should be amended so that it explicitly states how to
> disable VC.  The attached patch does just this.

Sorry for making it less clear than it should have been.  Thanks for the
patch, I'll install it.

> As a matter of interest, is there any good reason why VC isn't explicitly
> coded as a minor mode (with something like `global-vc-mode' analogous to
> `global-font-lock-mode'), or is it just the way things are?

The reason was probably that in the early days, with RCS and its strict
locking, the intention was that you should not be able to bypass VC at
all, so that VC could enforce the locking policy of RCS.  This has
changed a lot since then, mostly because locking is not used all that
much anymore, and people, including myself, have learned that Emacs
should not be overly strict in enforcing any kind of policy for the
users.

Nowadays, it is really just the way things are :-)

Just out of curiosity, what was the reason you wanted to disable VC
completely?  Perhaps there was an annoyance or a misunderstanding that
should be considered.