Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: 04 Dec 2003 10:04:29 +0200

> Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:54:45 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> Does anybody have any idea where we stand now with this thread and its
> various relatives?

IMHO, to make this discussion useful, it needs to be conducted on a
Texinfo forum first and foremost.  This is mostly because the
following item:

> 3. Oliver Scholz has a patch to allow the standalone reader to convert
>    XML to Info format "on the fly", so people would only need to have
>    the XML files installed to use both Emacs Info and standalone Info.
>    Oliver's patch would add some "color" to standalone Info.  (Unless
>    these colors would be very customizable, or maybe even if they are,
>    please provide a command line option to disable this.  Not
>    everybody can read yellow on white, cyan on white or red on black.)

is related to the stand-alone reader, not to Emacs (for which no
equivalent changes are available).

Personally, I think that a move to XML is a good idea, but such a
transition would take a non-trivial period of time, during which we
will need to support installations where some or all of the manuals
are in Info format.