Re: Info enhancements

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 13:27:41 -0500

    Certainly we shouldn't overburden users
    with purely technical information.

Well, in Emacs under X, the reader can erase the "(line NNN)" so users
don't have to see it.

As for the xref stuff, I am not at all sure the second arg to xref
should be treated in a special way; that was not its original intent and
nothing has ever been documented about it.  I didn't know standalone
info did any searching based on it.  I'll have to think about that.

I can see that making index entries automatically be xrefable points
could be useful, in a few circumstances.  But that is a separate feature
from handling entries in the indexes themselves, so that the menu
entries there go to the right place.

Luc, my own personal opinion is that the conditional
file-coding-system-alist xref should be deleted as you were going to
do.  If it's in the same section, users shouldn't need an xref (or else
the section should be split, but the section in question seems a
reasonable length to me).