Re: Info enhancements

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 23:54:45 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>        Note that nodes `Building Lists' and
>         `Creating Strings' are very large, so user must spend a significant
>         amount of time to locate this place.
>
>    When a node is so large that it is a pain to find something in it,
>    we should try to split it up.  Would someone like to try to split these?
>
> I will take a look at those two.  However these two are not even the
> largest nodes in the Elisp manual.  `Creating Strings' has 204 lines,
> `Building Lists' 252 lines.  Many sections have more than 204 and a
> few have more than 252.  For instance, `Window frame parameters' has
> 338 lines, `Coding Conventions' has 347.

It's much more useful for users if Info nodes are split not by size
but grouped by logically related topics.  This helps to look over all
related information at once.  But it's not the case in some places.
For instance, look at the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual:

Node: Sets And Lists
 - Function: memq object list
 - Function: member-ignore-case object list
 - Function: delq object list
 - Function: member object list
 - Function: delete object sequence
 - Function: remove object sequence

Node: Building Lists
 - ...
 - Function: remq object list
 - ...

The function `remq' is placed in the wrong node and
`member-ignore-case' in the wrong place of the same node.  A better
variant is the following:

Node: Sets And Lists
 - Function: memq object list
 - Function: remq object list
 - Function: delq object list
 - Function: member object list
 - Function: member-ignore-case object list
 - Function: delete object sequence
 - Function: remove object sequence

There are other possible inconsistencies, for instance, functions
`assoc-ignore-case' and `assoc-ignore-representation' are described
in the "Text Comparison" node, but better place would be the
"Association Lists" node.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/