Re: Info enhancements

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 21:34:15 -0600 (CST)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   You can still type more characters if you want, don't you?

No (at least not currently), because `f' is based on the reference
name (not the node name, as we may have abusively said sometimes).
Hence, if two references have the same name you currently can not type
more characters, because the reference name has no file name
component.  I believe Juri wanted to make it possible to append a file
name to the reference name to distinguish. (If I understood
correctly.)

   The preference given to the reference at or closest to point does
   sound like a reasonable feature, doesn't it?

Can give some bad surprises, like typing `f' followed by a reference
one is seeing on the screen and the reader going to a "closer"
off-screen reference of the same name.

Anyway, in practice the situation only occurs in very special buffers
like Juri's history buffer, so it is not worth an endless discussion.

If you and Juri both believe that it is better to go with the
stand-alone reader's behavior, then that is fine with me.

Sincerely,

Luc.