Unfifying M-x gdb and M-x gdba

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Unfifying M-x gdb and M-x gdba
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:46:04 +0000

I have just committed changes that allow both modes for gdb to be run from M-x
gdb, in the manner suggested by Stefan over a year ago. Now if you type M-x gdb,
you get something like:

Run gdb (like this): gdb --annotate=3 myprog

which will start the mode in gdb-ui.el which previously was invoked (and still
can be) with M-x gdba.

If you want the old behaviour you can edit the minibuffer to give:

Run gdb (like this): gdb --fullname myprog

and if you always want this behaviour you set gud-gdb-command-name to
"gdb --fullname".

I think the mode in gdb-ui.el is quite reliable now, and by the time of the next
release of Emacs, should be better than the one in gud.el in nearly all
respects.
If people generally don't like it then I will set the default back, of course.

Apart from the elegance of unification or integration, this approach has the
advantage that Valgrind in the GUD buffer for both modes. I have already
touched on this in help-gnu-emacs and will elaborate on this list shortly.

    Nick                                         http://www.nick.uklinux.net