Re: address@hidden: Re: compose key on SUN keyboard creates 2 characters

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: compose key on SUN keyboard creates 2 characters (and beeps)]
Date: 12 Jan 2004 10:33:13 +0100

    Jan> I'm assuming these lines are to be added rather than subtracted since
    Jan> they are not in xterm.c 1.823.

looks like I've exchanged old and new file again in my patch, sorry :-)

    Jan> The internals of XComposeStatus is intended to be hidden, i.e. can
    Jan> change at any time, so looking inside it might be unportable.  But a

yes I agree. Since emacs looks at every single event, there must be a way to
tell emacs to ignore these events until the key is complete. I couldn't find
a better way.

    Jan> check for > 0 (no need to limit ourselves to 1 or 2) can be done.  But

are you sure, this would amaze me? I thought when chars_matched is 3, emacs
needs to handle the char, and as long as we're composing a character, we need
to ignore it.

    Jan> we should do break instead of goto OTHER.

I don't know when/how these 3 events that compose one char need to be
dispatched.

    Jan> Checking for nbytes <= 0 is not an option as we would then miss
    Jan> several keys that returns 0 (function keys, the <menu> key, keypad
    Jan> keys ...).

yes, you're right. Sorry, that wasn't a good idea, I have to admit :-(.

Does the compose key work the way it's implemented now e.g. under GNU/Linux?

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             address@hidden  |
---
It's odd, and a little unsettling, to reflect upon the fact
that English is the only major language in which "I" is
capitalized; in many other languages "You" is capitalized
and the "i" is lower case.              -- Sydney J. Harris