Re: carbon emacs on OS X 10.3 (Panther): how to fix environment?

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: carbon emacs on OS X 10.3 (Panther): how to fix environment?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:35:58 +0100

Hi Rob,

Rob Dickens <address@hidden> writes:
> By 'groups' I mean the list of groups returned by the
> /usr/bin/groups command. The list returned when running this from a
> sub-emacs shell didn't match that returned on the Terminal
> commandline.

I can't reproduce that, can you give a step-by-step recipe?

> I now realise you're not meant to use /usr/bin/open to launch emacs
> from the commandline!

The "open" tool should work fine.  If I do

  $ open /Applications/Emacs.app

I get the same Emacs as when I launch it from Finder.  I also get the
same groups.  "open" is basically a packaged AppleScript to ask the
Finder to launch a document, I believe.

> Doing it the prescribed way--running
> .../emacs/mac/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

Actually I use that method only for debugging, not for normal
startup.  It has some minor problems for everyday use.

benny