Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.
Date: 20 Jan 2004 10:52:23 -0500

>> Now that I think about it, rather than an alist, we might just want to
>> make the drop into an event that we look up in the keymaps.  If the drop
>> is in the tool-bar or the menu-bar, the event generated should be
>> different so that we can bind it to a different command (just like
>> [mouse-1] turns into [mode-line mouse-1] when clicking on the mode-line).

The more I think about it, the more it feels like The Right Thing.
Admittedly, the issue with having to choose between various types might
make it impractical: I don't know enough to be able to tell.

> This is not compatible with the current drop code for W32.

It's a non-issue unless the current w32 behavior is better or cannot be
changed to use such keymap bindings.

> Also, I don't think it is worth doing, it is too complex for very little
> user benefit.

Looking at it from my armchair, it doesn't look that complex ;-)
You basically need to do a bunch of keymap lookups rather than a bunch of
alist lookups.  And you need to create an event, which might indeed be more
work, I don't know.

> Better then to accept the drop and put it in the kill ring
> if we can't insert it into a buffer.

That's up to the command bound to the event.  All that I wanted to point out
by my original remark is that it's OK to accept the drop even if the buffer
is read-only: we can then signal an error (and/or do whatever else we feel
like).  Or in more general terms, it's OK to accept a drop before knowing
whether the action can be carried through.  All we need to figure out really
is *which* type of drop to use.

        Stefan