Re: GNU Emacs: Client/Server

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs: Client/Server
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:47:53 +0530

On 29 Jan 2004 13:41:17 +0100, "Kim F. Storm" <address@hidden> said:
> If we could enhance make-network-process to support either of these
> connection types (both as client and server), I don't see why not.
>
> I guess it would be a different :family, e.g. :family mailslot, with
> suitable new ADDRESS format for :local and :remote addresses, and then
> extend the process code to handle such connections/servers as any other
> kind of service.
>
> I don't know what it takes to handle connection setup, input/output,
> etc., so I cannot say whether it can be done through the normal process-

I suggested Mail Slots as I had worked on implementing it in one of my
projects (controlling a profiling session on a remote computer). It was
very easy to implement it and hence suggested as a way to achieve IPC.
Also, there is not much difference between Mail slot communication on
local computer or remote computer (it is abstracted). Anyway, my views
are based on development on MS Win32.

with regards,
dhruva
Dhruva Krishnamurthy