make bootstrap fails.

From: Steven T. Hatton
Subject: make bootstrap fails.
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:02:16 -0500

I finally figured out that I need to checkout the cvs archive to a host with a
public IP address (or change some, to me, unknown configuration).  Now that I
have the source, I'm having a hard time getting it to bootstrap.

`make' results in the following message:

Your tree does not include the compiled Lisp files.
You need to do `make bootstrap' to build Emacs.
Emacs now requires Texinfo version 4.2.
make: *** [maybe_bootstrap] Error 1

`make bootstrap' results in:

(cd src;      make  mostlyclean)
/bin/sh: line 1: cd: src: No such file or directory
make[1]: Entering directory `/download/org/gnu/emacs'
(cd src;      make -w mostlyclean)
/bin/sh: line 1: cd: src: No such file or directory
make[2]: Entering directory `/download/org/gnu/emacs'
(cd src;      make -w mostlyclean)
/bin/sh: line 1: cd: src: No such file or directory
make[3]: Entering directory `/download/org/gnu/emacs'
(cd src;      make -w mostlyclean)
/bin/sh: line 1: cd: src: No such file or directory
make[4]: Entering directory `/download/org/gnu/emacs'
(cd src;      make -w mostlyclean)
/bin/sh: line 1: cd: src: No such file or directory
make[5]: Entering directory `/download/org/gnu/emacs'
(cd src;      make -w mostlyclean)
... Ad infinitum (almost)

Suggestions?

STH