OT:XML Schema Validation with Emacs

From: Steven T. Hatton
Subject: OT:XML Schema Validation with Emacs
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:41:28 -0500

This may be a bit OT for this list, but I believe it is vitally important and
Emacs related.  AFAIK, there is no way to validate an XML document against a
w3c XML Schema instance.  It is sometimes possible to convert xsd to dtd, and
validate against the resulting dtd.  This is, in general, a lossy conversion,
and is thus unsatisfactory.  More and more, it is becoming the case that an
xsd is used where a dtd has traditionally been used.  I find the
functionality I get with (X)Emacs and psgml superior to any other tool (free
or proprietary) for editing xml documents.  Without a dtd, that functionality
is not available.

I am aware of James Clarke's nXML http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=2061
but that only works with RELAX NG, which I have not encountered in the areas
I've be focusing. DocBook, Apache Ant, etc.

If any one has the skills, time, and inclination to look at this issue, I, for
one would be grateful.

STH