Re: info-look.el bug

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: info-look.el bug
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:30:05 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:

When you want to switch to a buffer and let display-buffer choose
where it should appear, you use pop-to-buffer.  I think it is a bug
for switch-to-buffer-other-window to obey same-window-buffer-names
or same-window-regexps.  So I think this change is called for.

However, it may be that some existing calls to
switch-to-buffer-other-window would need to be changed to use
pop-to-buffer.

I agree with your change, but I don't think it goes far enough.  Here's
what pop-to-buffer's doc string says:

| If optional second arg OTHER-WINDOW is non-nil, insist on finding another
| window even if BUFFER is already visible in the selected window.

To me, that means that no calls to (pop-to-buffer BUFFER t ...) should
obey same-window-buffer-names or -regexps, not just those in
switch-to-buffer-other-window and -frame.  And so I think the job of
temporarily binding same-window-buffer-names and -regexps should be done
in pop-to-buffer:

(let ((same-window-buffer-names (if other-window
                                    nil
                                  same-window-buffer-names))
      (same-window-regexps (if other-window
                               nil
                             same-window-regexps)))
  ...)

Unfortunately, pop-to-buffer is implemented in C and I don't know how to
write that fragment in C.

--
Kevin Rodgers