Re: address@hidden: pin the right edge of the text to the right edge of

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: address@hidden: pin the right edge of the text to the right edge of the monitor]
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 09:29:09 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> I have just installed a patch which should improve on this behaviour.
>
> Now the cursor is positioned nearer to the right margin when jumping to
> the end of a long line (C-e), rather than centering the cursor as is
> usually done when hscrolling.

Instead of constant 4 it would be more correct to use either
`hscroll-margin' or `hscroll-step'.  However, I'm not sure which one.
Each of them makes sense:

- hscroll-margin defines how many columns away from the window edge
  point is allowed to get.  So after reaching the end of a long line
  inside this margin point could be moved outside the scroll margin
  to the column defined by the value of hscroll-margin.  Its current
  default value 5 is a good value for this functionality and will
  remain unchanged.

- hscroll-step defines how many columns to scroll the window when
  point gets too close to the edge.  This variable could be used
  to define how many columns to scroll from the window edge when
  point jumps to the end of a long line.  Its current default
  value 0 (center) would be changed to 5.

> Note that my fix only applies to the default hscroll settings; if you
> have modified the hscroll parameters, your setting still apply.

Currently, with modified hscroll parameters point is positioned to the
sum of (hscroll-margin + hscroll-step) columns from the right edge
which is too far.  It should move by either hscroll-margin or hscroll-step.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/