Re: char-table-range

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: char-table-range
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:55:24 -0500

    Luc pointed out the current odd behaviour of
    char-table-range.  What should we do if values of characters
    in the specified range are different?

    For the moment, I don't have a good idea.  Possible
    behaviours are:

    (1) return nil
    (2) return the first non-nil value in the range.
    (3) return the default value of the range (but ascii,
        eight-bit-XXXX doesn't have a default value).
    (4) signal an error

I think signaling an error is the cleanest behavior.

    By the way, I don't know why this function is necessary, in
    what situation it is intended to use this function.

I think it may be included for completeness of access
to the data in a char table.