Re: dired-man can't deal with compressed pages

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: dired-man can't deal with compressed pages
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:07:24 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
>>Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:59:29 +0200
>>>??? Is that even possible?  I thought all the preprocessors we need
>>>(eqn, tbl, refer, and soelim) are always installed as part of the
>>>standard Troff/Groff/man packages.  How else would users be able to
>>>format the pages they have?
>>Could you assure that all these preprocessors are available for all
>>man versions?
> I think having `man' installed guarantees that, but I don't regard
> myself as an expert on this issue.  Does anyone know if the 4
> preprocessors mentioned above are guaranteed to be installed with
> `man'?

I don't think so, because some systems come with pre-processed man pages
which their `man` command finds in directories like /usr/man/cat1 or
/usr/man/sman1.  That's simply to speed things up and doesn't imply that
the troff preprocessors aren't also installed, but it certainly seems
possible that they could be missing on such systems.

Kevin Rodgers