Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:25:11 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     I follow the behavior of compile.el, which is:
>
>     - is the current buffer usable?  if yes, use it
>
>     - else, if we were given a usable buffer, use that
>
> Could you say more precisely what "given" means, here?
> Do you by any chance mean next-error-last-buffer?

I sure hope so!

> If so, what is the user-level behavior caused by this?  Practically
> speaking, if the user has done M-x compile and M-x occur, does this
> get the compilation buffer or the occur buffer?  What criteria
> control this choice?
>
>     - else, look through all the buffer for a usable buffer
>
> If there is more than one usable buffer, which one do you use?
> Is it the compilation buffer, or the occur buffer?
>
> That is a very important question, for usability.  The decision must
> not be left to chance.  It needs to be made intentionally, and we need
> to verify users are happy with the decision.

I think next-error should use the last created compile/grep/occur buffer,
which is next-error-last-buffer because those commands reset its value.

But I would like to give the user some control over that.  For instance,
if next-error-last-buffer were a list with the most recently created
buffer at the front (like a stack), the user could go back to his/her
previous next-error task simply by killing the most recent
compile/grep/occur buffer.  (Those buffers should remove themselves from
the list when they're killed, so that next-error doesn't have to check
for a dead buffer.)

--
Kevin Rodgers