Re: Recent changes in gdb-ui.el

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Recent changes in gdb-ui.el
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:53:46 +0000

 > I have just installed changed to properly support multiple overlay arrows.
 >
 > [Some packages attempts to do this by making overlay-arrow-position
 > buffer local, but that doesn't really work well with the redisplay
 > code, as it may fail to notice changes to an overlay arrow in some
 > cases.]
 >
 > To do so, create a new variable similar to overlay-arrow-position,
 > e.g.  gdb-asm-overlay-arrow-position and add it to the new variable
 > overlay-arrow-variable-list; like this:
 >
 >  (push 'gdb-asm-overlay-arrow-position overlay-arrow-variable-list)
 >
 > Then you can use gdb-asm-overlay-arrow-position just like the
 > overlay-arrow-position variable.

I've committed this change which seems to work fine on a graphical display but
not on a text-only terminal. Roughly, I've taken code from gud-display-line
and put it in gdb-assembler-custom. In this manner, I've created a variable
called gdb-overlay-arrow-string (set to "=>") but this doesn't have the
meaning given to overlay-arrow-string.

On a related note, I see that the overlay arrow is only represented as a
string on a text-only terminal. It seems to me that, now fringes can be
toggled, this should be extended to graphical displays where there is no
left-hand fringe.

Nick