Re: Re[2]: Tooltipping enhancement request

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Tooltipping enhancement request
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:18:22 +0100

Here is an example of interaction.

1) User types in foo->b
2) User thinks, "Hmmm, what was that member again?"
3) Emacs becomes impatient, and pops up a list of options.

Here you can now branch.

b1.1) user sees the field wanted, and types some more, or presses TAB for
      completion.  Each key press updating the list.

I still don't see why this needs a timer.  But you would need to
dynamically update the popup menu while it is popped up.  I am not sure
any of the toolkits Emacs uses (GTK, Motif/Lesstif, Lucid) even supports it.
I think it would be better to implement these lists in a kind of
buffer/window, that appears over a window. Enhancing the current tool tip
would probably break things, so other mechanisms is probably better.
I'm thinking of some sort of "overlay windows" that may appear on top of
other windows, and without the usual window manager decorations.  How to
handle input is something to figure out. There is a bigger chance to get
this to work on all ports of Emacs than if popup menu code is enhanced.

b2.1) user sees the field wanted, and clicks on it to complete.

This is more in line with what popup menus can do now.

        Jan D.