Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:35:14 -0600 (CST)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   >> BTW, is there a reason for not including references to SES and SMTP
   >> manuals into the `emacs/info/dir' file?

   > A simple omission; these manuals are relatively new additions.  (It is
   > IMHO the job of the person who adds a new manual to update info/dir.)

   I never even noticed it since I locally removed info/dir a long time ago
   and let install-info add things for me.

What is the exact function of emacs/info/dir?  I thought it was some
obsolete file.

Back in September, I noticed that SES was not listed im my (dir)Top
under Emacs.  I tried adding SES to emacs/info/dir.  It had no effect
whatsoever.  I noticed that other recent additions were not listed in
emacs/info/dir.  I then checked how they got added to (dir)Top.  It
was through Makefile.in.  So I made changes to Makefile.in to include
SES in the same way and sent a patch to emacs-devel, asking whether
that was the right way to proceed (since I had never done this before)
with cc to Jonathan Yavner, the author of SES.  It was one of those
prolonged periods that mail to emacs-devel apparently got redirected
to /dev/null and after a while Jonathan asked me why I was not
installing my patch.  My patch definitely worked and I installed it as
revision 1.283 to Makefile.in.  That definitely seemed to work on my
operating system, whereas adding something to emacs/info/dir did not
seem to.

Sincerely,

Luc.