Re: [SUCCESS] broken bootstrap build on 2004 Mar 18

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: [SUCCESS] broken bootstrap build on 2004 Mar 18
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 09:19:38 -0500 (EST)

Success in bootstrap build, with CVS snapshot of Sun, 2004 Mar 21
13:48 UTC

The success is not from the new snapshot, but because of changes I
made to `emacs/leim/leim-list.el'.

On 2004 Mar 18 I reported a broken bootstrap build.  It turns out that
this resulted from corruption in the file `emacs/leim/leim-list.el'.

Manually, I removed a good number of

    (register-input-method ... )

expressions from that file and it now loads without error and Emacs
builds.

The function `update-leim-list-file' was unable to clean up the
corruption and did not report that it was failing.  I do not know how
the file got corrupted.

Also, a separate issue, I found that `make clean' removes the `emacs'
executable from `emacs/src' but that updating leim-list.el requires
that `emacs' exist.  The `emacs/src/emacs-21.3.50' did exist, so I
could copy from it to `emacs' and that solved that bug.

I am not sure quite what should be done about either problem, except
to ask that someone who understands make files better than I to look
into improving the error messages, please.

For a long time I thought that the initial failure came from a bug in
the autoloads since the last messages from the build were

    Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
    make[2]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/emacs/lisp'

which is misleading to someone like me.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden