Re: ruler support in hexl mode

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: ruler support in hexl mode
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:52:39 +0100

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 23:48:23 -0500
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Perhaps one could make a list of
> functions that faces are commonly specified to, and check for use
> of an obsolete face name quoted as an argument.

I had thought of adding a property to face-using functions, which would
say what arguments can be faces, i.e.:

(put 'copy-face 'byte-compile-uses-faces '(1 2))

and then checking when compiling. There should be also a way to mark
functions that can receive faces in generic arguments, like `overlay-put'.
I favor this kind of answer because assigning the property would be
close to the function declaration, so harder to forget than going to
emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el to update a list. But perhaps what you propose is
better/easier, don't know.

In any case, I'm no expert in emacs-lisp/byte*.el, so any pointer about
when/how to check the arguments would be welcome.

                                                                Juanma