Re: Feature request for `describe-char-after'

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Feature request for `describe-char-after'
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:05:17 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW, I need another feature for `describe-char' - the ability
> to display Unicode data for the character after point.
>
> The saddest thing about it is that it's already implemented
> but commented out with the following commentary:
>
> ;;; We cannot use the UnicodeData.txt file as such; it is not free.
> ;;; We can turn that info a different format and release the result
> ;;; as free data.  When that is done, we could reinstate the code below.
> ;;; For the mean time, here is a dummy placeholder.

Could someone please explain exactly what it is in the license that
make it non-free?  Perhaps the above statement isn't accurate any
more, I believe the license has changed over time.  If some term make
the file non-free, I can forward this problem to someone at Unicode
Inc. that responded to my request to change the Unihan license earlier
(which was completely non-free).

I'm quoting http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.0-Update/UCD-4.0.0.html
with the current license terms below.

UCD Terms of Use
Disclaimer

The Unicode Character Database is provided as is by Unicode, Inc. No
claims are made as to fitness for any particular purpose. No
warranties of any kind are expressed or implied. The recipient agrees
to determine applicability of information provided. If this file has
been purchased on magnetic or optical media from Unicode, Inc., the
sole remedy for any claim will be exchange of defective media within
90 days of receipt.

This disclaimer is applicable for all other data files accompanying
the Unicode Character Database, some of which have been compiled by
the Unicode Consortium, and some of which have been supplied by other
sources.

Limitations on Rights to Redistribute This Data

Recipient is granted the right to make copies in any form for internal
distribution and to freely use the information supplied in the
creation of products supporting the UnicodeTM Standard. The files in
the Unicode Character Database can be redistributed to third parties
or other organizations (whether for profit or not) as long as this
notice and the disclaimer notice are retained. Information can be
extracted from these files and used in documentation or programs, as
long as there is an accompanying notice indicating the source.

The file Unihan.txt contains older and inconsistent Terms of Use. That
language is overridden by these terms.