Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:41:31 +0100

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:51:11 +0000 (GMT)
address@hidden wrote:

> Identifying the version becomes impossible when I send people an updated copy
> of vc.el (which I often do), or they grab it from CVS.
> What other means would be available?  Should I ask for an md5sum of the
> file, or a copy of the file itself and diff it against my copy?

Now, if we switched from CVS to Subversion, we could have our cake and
eat it too (in Subversion, keywords don't cause spurious
conflicts/differences).

Of course that's not the best or only good feature of Subversion.
Maintaining history when a file gets moved (as recently done on many
lisp/ packages) comes to mind. And lots of other goodies: directory
versioning, good performance on acces to remote repositories (CVS is a
dog, as I'm forced to remember every time I commit a lisp/ChangeLog
change), versioned metadata, etc.

I know there are Emacs maintainers whose preferred VC tool is arch, and
I've only heard good things about it, but it suffers at least two
problems, IMHO of course: there is no arch port to Windows, and the
decentralized model arch supports, though interesting, is quite
different from the one in CVS, while Subversion is modelled to be "a
better CVS". Switching to Subversion would be, I think, a lot less
painful.

Yeah, this is an off-side plea to at least consider the idea of
switching to SVN. The Apache people is carefully doing it, one repo at a
time, and it seems like the experience is being very positive.

OTOH, Karl Fogel is an Emacs developer and I suppose he's reading the
list, so he could make the point far, far better than me ;-)

                                                                Juanma