Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources
Date: 23 Mar 2004 10:04:54 -0500

>> Keywords are just a generally stupid idea, so that's hardly an advantage
> Well, no. Keywords are wrong, perhaps, the way they're implemented in

Can we stop talking generically and get to the specific of CVS keywords in
the Emacs repository?
The reason why I want them gone is because they make handling branches (as
well as uncommitted local changes, which are basically a kind of
ultra-lightweight branch) more painful than needed, and that's particularly
annoying when you want to make some of the updating automatic.

> AFAICS, there is no official Windows port. The existence of home-brewed

And can we stop talking Arch-vs-Subversion.  There's already plenty of such
threads elswhere.  Emacs is not about to switch to one system or another.

> I agree that it *is* interesting and useful; but I don't think I can
> unconditionally agree that it is "better" than the centralized model of
> CVS and Subversion and other tools. Decentralized seems to work for

All the decentralized models I know of have the centralized model as
a special case.  You can definitely use Arch with a single centralized
server (accessed via SFTP) and it works very much like Subversion or CVS in
this respect.  And I expect that if Emacs ever switches to something like
Arch or Bitkeeper it will be setup in a centralized way anyway, so that part
of the equation is simply out.

        Stefan