Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:00:03 -0500

    > What if I then type C-x `?  Will it got to the following error,
    > or will it move down until it finds an error I have not yet visited?

    That is exactly the distinction made by the compilation-skip-visited
option.
    You can have one behaviour or the other.

Now I understand.  The doc string was not clear to me.

I am now certain that setting compilation-skip-visited to t is NOT the
right way to handle consecutive errors on one source line.  It has
other effects that I would not want.

So compilation-skip-visited's default should remain nil,
but we need another feature to recognize consecutive error messages
on a single source line and disregard all but the first of them.

Would you please implement that feature?  There could be an
option to disable it.