Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: 25 Mar 2004 14:43:19 +0100

Danilo Segan <address@hidden> writes:

> Today at 12:55, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:23:34 +0100
> > Danilo Segan <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> That's only a reason to educate them better, not to adjust
> >> behaviour.
> >
> > Many people don't have the time to be "educated". I've introduced
> > a few friends to Emacs and they're using it happily, but they just
> > won't spend the time to learn features they feel they're not going
> > to need.
>
> Sorry if I sounded too harsh -- I just want the defaults to be good,

M-g for goto-line is a good default.  "Educating" users is not the
task of an editor, and certainly not by willful omission of features.
Next thing you'll propose educating users about key combinations by
removing the menus.  And educating them about M-x delete-file RET by
making shell-mode barf on rm.

That's not the way to go about it.  Education of users is by making
the available information more accessible, not by hiding away all
other possibilities and making them inconvenient.