Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)

From: Giannis Georgalis
Subject: Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)
Date: 26 Mar 2004 17:24:24 +0200

> a GNU package should support GNOME at least as well as it supports
> any non-GNU desktop.  The maintainers should not leave it to chance,
> or to the actions of others, to control whether this is true.  They
> should make sure this is always true.
>
> GNU packages such as GNU Emacs and GNOME are part of a larger project,
> the GNU Project.  They should help each other out and support each
> other.  If Emacs included support for KDE in ways that it did not
> support GNOME, that would be disloyal.  We will not do that.
>
> To maintain a GNU package as if it existed in isolation, as if the
> only goal were to make that package good and popular, is to work
> towards the wrong goal.  The goal is to make the GNU system good and
> popular.  Maintainers should not forget to work together on this.

As this thread has stalled for a while, I would like to repeat once
more, that if it is decided that an effort to component-ize Emacs
should be started, it should certainly take into consideration GNOME,
KDE and GNUstep. RMS' point is valid and essential for the
interoperability throughout the GNU system, so it goes without saying
(Is it a valid english expression ?)  that it should be respected.

Having clarified the goals for such an effort, I would like to know
if anyone is interested in working towards that direction. Is the
team that ported Emacs to GTK interested in this ? (Jan DjAdrv ?).

Thank you,
Giannis

--
 Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad
idea which could only have originated in California.