Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: 27 Mar 2004 12:00:05 +0100

address@hidden (Jérôme Marant) writes:

> > I want Emacs to move in the direction of doing word processing.
> > It may take years, but we will get there.  Then commands to
> > specify faces will become important, and will need a good key
> > binding.
> >
> > I chose the M-g binding for that reason, and the reason continues
> > to have force.  So I don't intend to change that binding.
>
> What if users prefer M-g to run goto-line?

They are free to rebind it on their own.  That's not a concern.

A concern however is that M-g _is_ frequently rebound by users and
installations to goto-line, and so maybe we should spend some thought
about a recommendation where the font selection commands should go on
installations that rebind M-g, to avoid more inconsistency in actual
installations than can be avoided.