Re: dired-do-touch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: dired-do-touch
Date: 29 Mar 2004 08:59:57 +0200

> From: Matthew Mundell <address@hidden>
> Date: 28 Mar 2004 20:59:13 +0100
>
> There's the set-file-modes primitive for changing modes.  Are there
> equivalent primitives for changing owner and group?

I don't think so.  FWIW, I think we should add them.

> > There is the function `date-to-time' which parses a time string.
> > But it should be improved to accept the format of the touch program.
>
> Thanks, I missed it.

IMHO, we don't _have_ to emulate the `touch' program's date/time
format.  The format of the arguments that `touch' accepts is a result
of a certain user-interface design that is appropriate for a
command-line utility.  Emacs could in principle present an entirely
different UI, since it is not a command-line app.  We just need to
support the same _functionality_, but not necessarily the same
_format_.