-*- mode: XXX -*- tags in *in files

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: -*- mode: XXX -*- tags in *in files
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:17:15 +0200

I'd like to put -*- mode: XXX -*- tags in some *in source files.

I'm specifically interested in putting -*- makefile -*- in the many
makefile.w32-in files, so they can be automatically edited in
makefile-mode, but I imagine the measure would be useful for other files
(*make.defs, configure.in, src/config.in...).

Does anyone oppose to it?

(OK, the following questions are stylistic/aesthetic trivia and should
be skipped by those not interested :)

Is there any stylistic preference for

  -*- makefile -*-

vs.

  -*- mode: makefile -*-

vs.

  Local Variables:
  mode: makefile
  Local End:

?

If using the -*- (mode:\s*)?makefile -*- form, what about files starting
with:

#
# blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
# Copyright blah blah blah

Any preference for left-alignment:

# -*- makefile -*-
# blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

vs right-aligment:

#                                                      -*- makefile -*-
# blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

What about

#  Makefile for GNU Emacs on the Microsoft W32 API.
#  Copyright (c) 2000-2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Is better

#  Makefile for GNU Emacs on the Microsoft W32 API.   -*- makefile -*-

or (left-or-right aligned).

# -*- makefile -*-
#  Makefile for GNU Emacs on the Microsoft W32 API.

I know all these ways are equivalent, but I also know sometimes people
have *strong* views regarding stylistic issues...

                                                                Juanma