Re: [gnu.org #181558] format error in html mono web page

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [gnu.org #181558] format error in html mono web page
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 06:53:59 +0300

>     and some Emacs Lisp files under webcvs/emacs.
>
> Could you explain one example of the problem you saw in the Lisp files?
> I presume if there is a live RCS keyword in a Lisp file
> that it is meant to expand--so it's not clear what the problem would be.
> (Many of these keywords are going to be removed soon, I believe,
> but that's a different issue.)

Those are RCS keywords from Emacs Lisp files under the directory
`/webcvs/emacs/windows/ntemacs/' which are referred from the GNU Emacs
FAQ for Windows.  These Emacs Lisp files are imported from external
sources and are apparently not intended for development under webcvs.
But all their RCS keywords were expanded with log entries like the
following:

;; $Log: bat-mode.el,v $
;; Revision 1.1  2001/02/13 00:52:03  webcvs
;; import ./software/emacs/windows/ntemacs/contrib

>     I don't know exactly about workflow for putting files on the GNU Web
>     server, but generally I'd rather suggest not to put generated files
>     under version control.
>
> The whole contents of the site are a mirror of what's in CVS.

Then it really seems the best way to go is to disable RCS keyword
expansion for CVS import.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/