Re: address@hidden: Where to ask for Info features?]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Where to ask for Info features?]
Date: 05 Apr 2004 17:33:16 +0200

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:

>     I was just asking for a way
>     in which an Info file can tell Emacs to do it.
>
> David, as I mentioned to you,

You have to excuse my bad memory.

> right now @image takes a bunch of optional arguments:
>
>     @image{FILENAME[, WIDTH[, HEIGHT[, ALTTEXT[, EXTENSION]]]]}
>
> In the Info output (as of the upcoming release) this gets written as:
>
>      address@hidden src="BINARYFILE" text="TXTFILE"
>                 alt="ALTTEXT ... address@hidden
>
> And the Info readers interpret/ignore this as they please.  So this
> is easily extendable with more image properties as they are needed.

This looks rather like being just what I'd need.

> I hope/assume the alttext will do for the help text.

It certainly would.  I just want to make sure that the info reader in
Emacs would

a) make the ALTTEXT, if specified, the base text onto which the image
property gets attached, so that copy&paste and writing of buffer
regions will save the ALTTEXT.

b) have an option that will make the ALTTEXT also be the default for
the tooltip help, like HTML browsers tend to do.

I don't know whether this already is the case.  Please excuse my
ignorance in these matters: I am not yet working with this feature,
but once I find time to do so, it would be inconvenient if I find that
one of the very rare feature releases of Emacs happened in between
and missed out on those semantics which certainly appear desirable to
me.

I am glad to hear that most of my worries appear to be
unsubstantiated.