Re: Building on Fedora Core 1

From: Frank Schmitt
Subject: Re: Building on Fedora Core 1
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 13:31:13 +0200

Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden> writes:

> Have anyone tried to build emacs in the CVS repository on Fedora Core 1
> GNU/Linux distribution?
>
> (Two days ago, my hard disk which contains Redhat Linux 9 was crashed.
>  Therefore, I bought new disk and installed Fedora Core 1.)
>
> During dump emacs, it received signal SIGSEGV.

This is a known problem with new Kernel security settings used in
Fedora named Exec-Shield (see
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/). This breaks Emacs' build
process. You need to either disable exec-shield via
echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield
or use the setarch command:
setarch i386 ./configure ...
setarch i386 make ...

See http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/17457 for more details.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough