Re: tramp + sftp?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp + sftp?
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:04:06 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Is tramp capable of properly using sftp?  I can currently use the "ssh"
> method, but opening a connection is really, really, really slow (and
> prone to failure), largely it seems due to all the various grot tramp
> has to transfer to deal with a doing transfers over a shell
> connection.  As my firewall times out connections pretty fast, this can
> be quite annoying.
>
> sftp seems to have most of the capabilities for doing proper file
> transfer[1] without any shell connection at all, and wouldn't require any
> connection setup other than the initial login.

It's not a question of Tramp. Tramp passes all commands to ange-ftp,
it has no own FTP engine inside.

I remember that Kai made some investigations, the problem was that
sftp replies with strings not compatible with what ange-ftp expects.

So the answer is likely NO for the time being.

> Thanks,
>
> -Miles

Best regards, Michael.