Re: typo in frame.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: typo in frame.el
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 21:03:56 -0400

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 01:46:53PM -0700, Drew Adams wrote:
> How about we use "<=>", conventionally, in doc strings, but we also explain
> this convention in the Emacs manual, for those who have never seen it?

No, I don't like it.  It's both ugly and confusing for the bulk of users
("explaining it in the manual" is not adequate).  It's also rather contrary
to the style used in doc-strings, which is rather resolutely textual, and
largely eschews any kind of pseudo-graphics.

I think there's nothing wrong with "iff".  As someone else pointed out, even
for those who don't know its exact meaning, it's a "benign" typo --
interpreting it as "if" is close enough for them to get the essential meaning
of the doc-string (something like "<=>" on the other hand, does not degrade
so gracefully).

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!